Thursday, July 8, 2010

Not so clever in pleather.....

Definition: Pleather - Artificial leather is a fabric substitute for leather where a leather-like finish is required but the actual material is cost-prohibitive or unsuitable.

I have been dying to wear my pleather skirt since arriving in NY. It had been my fave fashion piece through the Australian winter, but due to the 104 degree temps in NY, it has been out of the question. Although it is a very short skirt, anyone who has ever worn leather (and especially pleather) can tell you how sticky & hot it is to wear. Even my easiest breeziest cotton skirts have been sticking to me in this weather.

This morning however, I felt the weather had dropped a little, just enough to wriggle into my fave skirt, or at least it was the closest weather opportunity I was going to get for a while to wear the skirt. So on it went, and out the door I went.

What a statement I was making!

First stop; iced-coffee from the coffee shop on the corner. A man of about forty ordered ahead of me, and upon turning around to move off to the side, he stopped in his tracks and stared me up and down. “Why do people not wear leather anymore?” He asked. “Your skirt is fantastic, I don’t know why nobody wears leather anymore.”

“I guess it’s because I’m not from here. Aussies have always had an odd spin on fashion.” I said. And so the long story of my background began. A great pick-up line from yours truly.

I then had a meeting with a designer that morning. She too commented on her love for my skirt.

The day continued with many whistles out of car windows, men stopping on the streets to stare me up and down, one female crossed over the road to tell me she loved my skirt, and many, many sales assistants commented on it also.

I began to wonder if the pleather was causing such a response because of how I looked in it, because of the sexual connotations attached to a short leather skirt, or if in fact that people just loved the skirt.

At the end of the day however, I felt rather trampish in my tight pleather skirt, catching the boggling eyes of every man (& woman) passing by, not to mention its utter inappropriateness in the cities heat.

It is with great sadness that I announce it here first; I will be waiting a little while before pulling out my fave fashion piece again.

3 comments:

  1. noooooooo pull it out puullll iiit ooouuuttt!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, what a brilliant grand daughter you are...you write so fantastically....I am really enjoying your stories re your travels....You seem to have already come across some possible pitfalls and have handled them beautifully....enjoy every moment darling, you are someone to be very proud of as we are.
    Nanna and Noel

    ReplyDelete