We walked the few blocks from 79th & Columbus to 75th and Broadway, where we stopped out the front of Fairway Market, a very well known grocery store. I stopped for a second, a tad confused as to where we were meant to be eating dinner, and as he noticed my hesitation, he grabbed my hand and lead me in the direction of the narrow side stairs up to the second level of the grocery store. There we came to a small restaurant in the corner of the shopping aisles.
It was not by any means a glamourous hang out, but from beginning to end, the service was amazing, and the food...well there are just no words to describe the food!
With a view of the kitchen, the cereal aisle, and tables filled with a variety of different characters, we both felt as if we'd found 'our' new favourite spot. And we have!
I started with the most amazing salad; lettuce, drizzled in aged balsamic vinegar, the most incredible enormously toasted crouton, with a huge slab of camembert cheese melting on the top of it. So simple; but to die for.
I followed with the most exquisitely cooked, medium rare, filet steak with bearnaise sauce. It melted in my mouth unlike any other steak ever had. And I am very well known as a steak snob of sorts.
Matt's meals were just as amazing.
We then both shared the Tarte Tatin (my favourite) and an amazing chocolate mousse slice. OUT OF THIS WORLD!
Never in my wildest dreams would I think to find the best meal in NYC in the corner of a grocery store. But then again...it is New York...and you never do know!
No comments:
Post a Comment