Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Intern, High Heels, NYC = Disaster

I didn't make it home last night. I had been out, and it seemed easier at the time to just stay at a friends place.

Upon waking up with not enough time to return home to change, and with becoming a pro at packing for the next day in my evening bag; spare undies, deodorant, perfume, make-up, toothbrush, I was on my way to work.

Of course today was an intern day however, and this could potentially mean walking kilometres through the streets of Manhattan, from Soho to Midtown, up to Times Square and back down to Soho again. Potentially carrying heavy boxes, garment bags or anything else heavy and awkward. Of course, I wore heels out last night too, which meant I'd be wearing heels all day to work.

Big mistake!!!

Of course today was the day that everyone called on me to run across Manhattan. The entire day was a disaster. I was sent to three incorrect locations. I was given one incorrect package, and had to then go back to get the correct package an hour later. I dropped three garment bags over the ticket gate while attempting to juggle them as I got my metro card out of my wallet. And I literally spent my day going from the North to the South of Manhattan the entire day. My feet didn't hurt so much from the blisters that had formed and become permanent fixtures on my feet, but more the balls of my feet felt like they were on fire, burning through the soles of my feet and into the ground. I may as well have been walking on hot coals, straight out of an Arabian film.

I had been silently managing my disastrous fashion faux pas all day, when at around 5pm I couldn't handle it any longer. Armed with hangers, and garment bags flung across my body, as I was walking through Times Square I saw a huge flashing neon light, 'Sale Shoes $10'. In I went and bought myself the best pair of gladiators $10 could buy.

My feet had been through so much pain that day, I still felt as though I had my uncomfortable high heels on. The pain had got to the point where it wouldn't leave, even if I were walking through Times Square in my Ugg boots.

Lesson learnt; my havaianas are the newest edition to my going out evening bag packing regime!

2 comments:

  1. Good idea about the havaianas! I've carried around comfy ballet flats in my bag on days I know I'll be running around a lot. I've seen ones that actually roll into a neat ball! Hope you'll be resting your feet this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. at a friends place aaye???

    ReplyDelete