Monday, August 30, 2010

Aussie Aussie Aussie...

I have too much to say about the past week...too, too much!

I started my new job this week. Working in retail in New York has to be the funniest experience. Attempting to help customers when they can't understand my twang is absolutely priceless. Customer's walk in the door and I naturally greet them, "hi, how are you going?" They stop and look at me as if I'm stupid. One girl said, "you're from Australia, aren't you?" "Yes I am." She had just returned from Australia and went on to tell me how strange it is that we say that instead of "how are you doing?" After mulling it over, why on earth do we say going? It makes no sense what so ever. But, at least I'm not asking, "how y'all doin?"

This week has also been the week of meeting 'Southies'. I met a couple from Blakehurst, a bar tender from Oatley, two girlfriends from Oatley, and a guy in a club from Jannali. And that was just from my corner of the globe. I won't even get started on the handfuls of Eastern Suburbs people i've met this week. Every one of them I met had mutual friends I knew too. Such a small world.

I also started a new internship this week, and boy has it been a fantastic learning curve in the American language. You think that moving to another English speaking country means that there will be no barriers. How I was wrong! Today I asked a girl where the powerpoint was. The entire office stopped and stared at me, dazed & confused. "What did you just say Laura?" "Ok. So I guess you don't call it a powerpoint then?" After attempting to describe what I was looking for, I found that it was called a socket! "Ok, so then where's the socket?" But still they stopped and stared. All they heard was "where's the suck-it!" Hilarious!

As much as I hate to admit it fellow Aussies, I have been trying my hardest to change any language barriers over here. My Aussie friends in NY keep paying me out, and pulling me up on many words; ketchup (tomato sauce); cell (mobile); socket aka suck-it (powerpoint); sprite (lemonade); and the list goes on. These are all now part of my natural New Yorker vocab. Sorry Mom (Mum)!

As far as the rest of my week goes, I am going to attempt to sum it all up as briefly as possible for you! Just so you can understand the sheer craziness of it...but too much to say right now!

You will have to wait until the next entry...

1 comment:

  1. Laura, don't change your slang. That is what makes you unique here. I changed mine and have lost the accent forever. mY favorite miss communication was between Aaron and I. My car at the time in australia had "had the dick", he of course did not understand when I said "dolly has had the dick" Dolly ebing my car of course. I think I remember him choking on whatever he was eating at the time...

    Just getting around to reading your blog... love the fact that you are experiencing NY from the inside out... If you run into a NY yankee get an autograph for Ky, he would be in heaven...
    Love, be safe....
    Aunty Kellie

    ReplyDelete