On telling many of my NY friends about my trip to Chicago, they had replied with remarks like, “what a dive”, “why on earth would you want to visit Chicago?” In my defence at the obviously bad choice of city I was about to visit, I constantly heard myself saying “I’m only going for Lollapalooza, not to go go to Chicago.”
Since returning to NY, and to my absolute surprise, people who have asked how Lollapalooza was have only heard 3 words out of me; “I love Chicago”.
I really do. Although Lollapalooza cannot be summed up in a string a logical words, and it was insanely A.M.A.Z.I.N.G, so too was Chicago.
I found myself so mesmerized by the layout of Downtown Chicago, and to date, it is certainly the US city I have been most taken by (bar NY of course). It is beautiful. Laid out along a peaceful lake, with bridges every few streets, skyscrapers forming beautiful lines, both along the lake and weaving in and out of the main streets. And the group of about twenty kayakers that we saw coming out from under a bridge at midnight one night was an especially memorable moment.
Lollapalooza itself was the first multi-day festival I have been to. Although I may be a bit of a festival-whore back in Oz, this was my first International, and the whole thing excited the crap out of me!
The first thing that shocked me were the crowds. They were so calm and collected. Not even so much as swaying side to side for most acts on day 1. Crowds in Oz are OUT-OF-CONTROL. I don’t think I realised how out of control they are until comparing them to that of Lollapalooza. Perhaps it's because the drug of choice in Oz is ecstasy and alcohol, opposed to Lollapalooza's choice of marijuana. It was everywhere. You were high even if you weren't smoking it.
Some of the craziest moments actually came from the Australian & UK sets of Mumford & Sons and the Temper Trap. They pulled the craziest, loudest crowds, not necessarily the biggest of crowds, but certainly the wildest! There was plenty of Aussie support all around too, and we made plenty of new Aussie friends in our travels.
The crowds certainly picked up throughout the festival, and by the final headliner of the 3 days, Arcade Fire, a band I have never really taken to, I was completely BLOWN AWAY! They were insane, and if they are ever playing nearby I highly suggest you buy yourself a ticket!
All in all, instead of the inebriated sensation I usually feel at festivals, I remember everything beginning to end, and I have a much loved bright red, triple tan line (from the 3 different straps I wore each day; racer back, spaghetti strap and micro-sleeve.)
For those of you interested in what has been added to my mental 'the most amazing festival moments of all time' list;
The Strokes – Last Night, Reptilia
The Temper Trap – Fader
Phoenix – Lisztomania, 1901 & Girlfriend
Mumford & Sons – Little Lion Man & The Cave
Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros – Home
F**k Buttons - ALL OF IT!!!
Arcade Fire - ALL OF IT!!!
Cannot wait until next year Chicago!
No comments:
Post a Comment